Monday, 5 March 2012

Two

In my experience, there are two kinds of back being fucked: the kind where spasms come from the tiniest gesture and you are floored for days of microwaved wheat cushions and anti-inflammatories, the kind where a chiropractor in San Francisco - in the nineties - wanted to adjust your hip and you wouldn't let him, you said you just wanted the massage and heat treatment and he went in the huff. And then there is the kind where you get a sciatica-type ailment after saving your wee nephew a few years ago from stoating his head on the path - when you grabbed  him you felt something tear in your back, you could not move. Over the year, your knee and ankle and hip went numb/weak and you had nauseating electricity-like pain that nothing would shift, you had months of physio and an MRI, they found nothing untoward, apart from 'normal' wear and tear, and it is only time that truly eases it (like so many things). But every so often it flares up, like when you potter for twenty minutes in the garden, it feels like a key is winding up and tightening your hip.  Sometimes, you get both kinds at the same time. You do the cobra 'til you can't stand it any more, you take prescription codeine, you have so many hot baths that you think you might dissolve. I woke up today, my left knee is weak, my ankle feels bored into. But that is one thing about having ME, you are so used to all the fun of the fair, it just becomes something else to shove under the carpet.

5 comments:

tattytiara said...

Yes, you have your hip, I have my knee. I do understand. A knee is easier to rest and avoid using, though, so I hope your hips starts cooperating a bit better for you!

Mellifluous Dark said...

I just wanted to say hello, NMJ. I hope you are OK. I have about a year's worth of reading to do so please excuse my wondering how you are... I will endeavour to catch up x

homegirl said...

sorry you have this problem on top of everything Nasim hope it improves soon.
I have had pain in the front of my hip for a yr now. I darent go to the GP - he'll just say it's from being sedentary and try to push some GET. So went to the osteopath... who very quickly told me I have "Hip Flexor Tendonitis... A sports injury"... being at the moderate end of severe as long as i do *nothing*....I had to laugh. Now i really dont want to see my GP about it lol

Mim said...

I hope the pain is lessening, dear Nasim. Back pain, which I know about, is the worst!

Warm regards from South Beach

nmj said...

Thanks, everyone, am keeping at bay with cobras and painkillers and lots of sleep. It gets so wearing though, you can't exactly put your back in a sling and rest it. You move or you don't move! Has been much worse before, so am crossing fingers it will bugger off as quickly as it came, though the sciatica pain does tend to hang around. Also, I can understand muscle spasm pain more, the sciatica stuff is just bewildering - if the MRI was okay, what the hell is going on! Sympathies to those of you who are also having this kind of thing in knees or hips or backs... Hello, Mell, hope all good with you and your wee one x