Saturday, 19 September 2009

Whiteness

The eyedrops I have switched to are white, it's like putting Tipex in your eyes and makes me think of the characters in Jose Saramago's novel Blindness, who suffer a contagious loss of sight where everything suddenly turns white. My friend told me of the book, recently, saying, Don't you dare even glimpse this just now, so I ordered it from the library. The writing is fabulous though it's more about an imbalance of power and society breaking down than anything else. I am a third of the way through. I have still not finished any of the last three books I have been reading.

4 comments:

  1. There is a remarkable film version of 'Blindness' by the brazillian director who made 'City of God'. It stars Julianne Moore and she is luminous. (as per) I must read the book as film was intriguing...
    T xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I would love to see the film, had no idea there was one. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wouldn't want you going achromatic. Hope your eyes feel better.

    I've just finished reading the bio of Toulouse-Lautrec by Julia Frey.
    This evening, I read through The Blue Book by Owen Sheers.

    ReplyDelete