‘Can there exist, in principle, a proper beginning to any story at all? Isn’t there always, without exception, a latent beginning-before-the-beginning?’
Amos Oz
Tuesday, 24 November 2009
Reading Sunday papers on Monday night
It takes me all week to read the Observer, nice to learn more about Joe Sacco. I got his graphic novel, Palestine, as a gift a few years ago. I dip in and out, it makes me cry. I have to look away.
I'm not good with books that make me cry. I read not wanted on the voyage over a decade ago, and to this day I'm literally too angry at Timothy Findley for making me cry that hard to read any of his other books.
I had to google this book, had not heard of it, but I like the power of the writing when a book makes you cry... the strength of Joe Sacco is it is through graphic art, I think that is quite something.
I read Palestine a few years ago. It is powerful - I felt drawn in to a greater extent than reading prose or newspaper reports, if that makes sense. Something to do with the power of drawings. Is a wonderful book. But I understand why it makes you cry.
I'm not good with books that make me cry. I read not wanted on the voyage over a decade ago, and to this day I'm literally too angry at Timothy Findley for making me cry that hard to read any of his other books.
ReplyDeleteI had to google this book, had not heard of it, but I like the power of the writing when a book makes you cry... the strength of Joe Sacco is it is through graphic art, I think that is quite something.
ReplyDeleteI read Palestine a few years ago. It is powerful - I felt drawn in to a greater extent than reading prose or newspaper reports, if that makes sense. Something to do with the power of drawings. Is a wonderful book. But I understand why it makes you cry.
ReplyDeleteAt first, I found the drawings quite tiring to follow, but that is my cluttered head. He is such a clever guy.
ReplyDelete