Saturday, 28 June 2008

Relatively speaking

My very artistic close friend, herself prone to anxiety, recently told me that after seeing me she often feels calm. That's nice, I said, wondering how on earth this could be. She went on: Compared to you, I feel like a phlegmatic lump. I smile when I think of her words, they seem like a compliment though they probably aren't. She has printed out the book cover for me with the new blurb - full size, full colour, I only had the old one, and it was in black and white. I am so impatient now to to get my hands on the real thing.

8 comments:

zhisou said...

If I were clever enough to have written a novel I would just want to own dozens and dozens of them and would not stop touching them.

This feels like the sort of thing that one shouldn´t share.

nmj said...

mr Z, i'm sure there will be a bit of caressing of TSOM when the time comes, i really can't imagine how it's going to feel!

trousers said...

Phlegmatic lump - great use of words. I sort of think they're beyond the status of compliment or (unintentionally) otherwise, in a way. If someone is comfortable enough just to tell you how she feels things are....well in itself I think that's pretty complimentary.

nmj said...

Definitely a case of comic exaggeration - she is the least phlegmatic, lumpish person I know, full of energy, she runs marathons! But I am in no doubt she feels calm next to me.

Böbø said...

We're all impatient to get our hands on the real thing, NMJ!

nmj said...

hey bobo, let's hope it's all goin according to plan, and we all have our hands on it soon soon soon!

Reading the Signs said...

- and keep us posted about book launch dates etc. I know you will but just, you know, saying :)

nmj said...

of course i will, signs - event still in planning stages, can't really move ahead until books are definitely in!