Friday 27 October 2006

Mango

I switched on Channel 4 news last night mid-way through a report about alleged abuse of Iraqi prisoners by British troops. A soldier had given evidence about a colleague he'd witnessed lifting up an elderly Iraqi man by his eye sockets. Immediately, I switched off the television. We are so used to hearing these horrors, but still there are details that are too much, details you can't bear. I had my head in my hands, I felt sick, I couldn't even cry. I lay on the couch, but could not get the image from my head. Later, I had a mango, it was messy to eat and comforting. Then I watched Question Time, and I wanted them all - even the ones I agreed with - to shut up and quit babbling. None of them can help that old man. None of them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes. Exactly.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

It's horrible. I can't add anything comforting, just wanted you to know you were heard and understood.