Wednesday 4 March 2009

To beauty or not to beauty...

I see that this advert for Olay has been banned on the grounds of shady scientific claims. I remember seeing it a while back and being offended by the line: Women who aren't ready for cosmetic injections constantly ask me to recommend a skin cream that really works... I can't deny that I'm happy I don't look my age, but to have it suggested that 'cosmetic injections' are something we all pencil in like dental appointments is just plain stupid. I also recall a recent online advert which featured an Olay iron ironing out the wrinkles - I can't find a link, just this photo - this seemed utterly tasteless since it was suggestive to me of an Amnesty International torture image more than anything else.

3 comments:

Reading the Signs said...

Just clicked on your link, NMJ, and I see what you mean - what a strange and shocking image.

I will never be "ready" for cosmetic injections.

nmj said...

Hey Signs, The actual advert, seeing the iron in motion was worse, it really struck the wrong chord, with me anyway. If women want these cosmetic injections, it's up to them, it's the assumption that everyone wants them and should be having them that offended me. And the tone of voice, as if we are all lobotomised - but most women's products are advertised in this patronising tone of voice.

Muhamad Lodhi said...

now that you mention it, your face does exude a youthful vitality.