Sunday 24 January 2010

Rainbows in my Eyes by J. K. Rowbory

I became aware of J. K. Rowbory's poetry collection through Twitter (which I use only occasionally) and am delighted to see this review by Clare Dudman. Jenny has severe ME and proceeds from her book will go towards her treatment. I have not bought Jenny's book yet because I preferred to see extracts - I think readers always like to see a sample of what they are going to read - but from the extracts Clare has posted I'm very keen to read the rest. Though no longer severe, I am well aware of the hell of severe ME (and also the hell of getting published!). I am thrilled for Jenny and love the cover.

4 comments:

Cusp said...

I'm so glad you like the extracts you've seen so far. I posted a piece about Jenny on my blog about a month ago [http://lombredemonombre.blogspot.com/2009/12/fund-raiser-for-severely-affected.html] partly because for me she's a local girl -- only 10 miles away and also because she's having to use the proceeds from the book to raise funds for treatment at the Breakspear (about £35,000 !!! ) which seems a deplorable state of affairs to me and says a lot about the way PWME are treated (or not treated).

Anyway I hope the book sells well on its own merits (of which ther are many) and that Jenny will be able to access effective treatment asap

nmj said...

Hey Cusp, I am just pleased Jenny has been able to respond to her illness so creatively while being so horribly challenged. We have all, over the years, spent a small fortune trying different therapies and I don't really want to get into the politics of that - yes, it's a disgrace, but that is more about lack of belief! - but many people with other illnesses can't afford treatment that would improve their lives no end - I just want people who come here to know about the poetry and if it appeals to buy it!

Cusp said...

Oh yes agree with all that. As I said, I hope the book sells on its own merits. It should do. I think the other aspect of it all is just rather sad really.

nmj said...

It is Cusp, it surely is.