Wednesday 10 February 2010

Balls

I bought three tennis balls today. Not to play tennis, obviously. And I only wanted one, but they only come in tubes of three. (And why are they sealed like tins?) I've discovered you can do self-massage with tennis balls, so decided to try as I am at my wits' end, having tried every back stretch known, and I can't keep taking 30/500 co-codamols. I feel like an impostor in sports shops, everything seems alien. Still, I told the woman why I needed the balls and pointed to some glittery ones I liked the look of. Those are for hockey, she said, those would break your back. Glittery hockey balls, I replied, we didn't have such a thing when I was at school! I heard myself sound like my mother and acknowledged (to myself) these are the kind of things you say in your forties.

7 comments:

Mim said...

Please post again about massage with tennis ball. How do you do it? Thanks from Mim

nmj said...

If you google tennis ball + massage you will see a lot, or try this link

http://saveyourself.ca/articles/tennis-ball.php

i think it helps a little.

off to physio now!

nmj said...

I love my new physiotherapist. I may not need the tennis balls.

Joss said...

Hi,

This is gonna look stupid but it works: http://www.theracane.com/

A bit pricey though.

I've had ME for 13 years.

Really enjoyed your book.

Well done for managing to finish it.

nmj said...

glad you enjoyed the book, go-girl.

i think massage gives temporary relief but you need to really get to the root of the prob to fix it properly. the therapist i saw today was fabulous, i have high hopes.

Rick said...

"Glittery hockey balls"? Sounds like a Canadian tabloid headline on the Winter Olympics...

LottieP said...

My friend Liz has back pain and swears by her spiky ball...