Monday 1 July 2013

Watching Glastonbury made me feel old...

I watched snippets of Glastonbury, it made me feel old, though not as old as The Rolling Stones (have never been a big fan but loved their wrinkled energy, Kenny Rogers too, he made me smile). I learned of new bands. I really liked: The xx, Stealing Sheep (gorgeous girls), Jake Bugg (gorgeous boy), Weekend Vampire and Laura Mvula. I thought back to the Loch Lomond Rock Festival, held in the old bear park -  we had a bear park and a bear escaped one year. I remember seeing The Buzzcocks, and I brought home a boy called Michael - in my memory, he slept in the bath (I was fifteen), but I can't  see my mother having allowed that.

2 comments:

Alison said...

After high school going to Glastonbury was a big goal for me. I'd been to Coachella, so a music festival not in the desert seemed like a breeze. Never got to go though, and I'm ok with that. My best friend and I thought we were going to get to go in 2006 when my uncle let us come with him to Germany for the World Cup but to our dismay there was no Glastonbury that year.

I think I heard an xx song that I liked once...

I liked all the band references in your book by the way. So many great bands in the 80s. Too bad I was in 2nd grade and listening to New Kids on the Block and Paula Abdul...When I do get out to shows now everyone there is ten years older than me. It might make me feel young but it just reminds me of my aching back and need to sit down : ) Except when I saw Interpol a couple years ago, that was mostly college kids.

lol @ "wrinkled energy"

nmj said...

Hey Alison, Just saw this youtube compilation put up by @bbcglasto: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5A4nPQbUF8D4C8LWRm2Ptqh2N4Jh6klg

The woman's voice in xx reminded me a bit of Lhasa de Sela.

Re. band refs in book, Aztec Camera still one of my all time favourites.