Thursday 21 November 2013

Some thoughts on Doris Lessing

By a quirk, I just finished reading my first Doris Lessing novel last week - The Memoirs of a Survivor - though I have a signed copy of Briefing for a Descent into Hell (which I could not finish) - and was saddened to learn on Sunday that she had died, aged 94. I love this clip of her reaction to learning she had won the Nobel Prize for literature in 2007, she was then 88.  She is one of those hallowed writers you feel guilty for not having read more of. An interesting article on her life from the Telegraph, and this, which I still have to read, from the Guardian, Diana Athill and others on The Golden Notebook (I hope to read The Golden Notebook at some point but will probably never get round to).  I would though definitely like to read Under My Skin, having just read Hilary Mantel's review in the London Review of Books from twenty years ago.

My Goodreads review of The Memoirs of a Survivor here.

No comments: